Whenever we heard about doctors, the only thing that comes in our mind is MBBS. And pursuing MBBS is the most common aim of every student who wants to make their career in the field medical. This course is also pursued by the maximum students. There are also many other courses that could be much better career options and can give you a much better lifestyle. Here in this article, We will talk about the Bachelor of Dental Surgery, Career Opportunities, BDS Course duration, Eligibility Criteria, etc. The medical field has a very high growth rate. There are many new job opportunities in every field of medicine and it could be a boon for the freshers. You must check the complete blog below to get all the details about the Career in BDS.
What is the BDS Course?
Bachelor of Dental Surgery is a popular and designated degree of dentists (doctors). It is an undergraduate course. BDS is a professional and only program on Dental Surgery in India. In this course, students are taught about surgery, Denture and other dental problems and operations, etc. It is equivalent to the MBBS course and also the most demanding course after MBBS.
BDS Course Duration:
The duration of the course is four years with one year of mandatory Internship. Including the internship, the duration of the Bachelor of Dental Surgery course will be five years. There are many government colleges as well as private colleges that offer internship right after the completion of the fourth year. The internship is the only way to get a job after the completion of the BDS degree course.
We will discuss the complete details about the career options and job opportunities in the below paragraphs. Now let’s see the complete details about the admission process and required eligibility Criteria to pursue this course.
BDS Course Eligibility Criteria:
In order to pursue a Bachelor of Dental Surgery course in India. Here are the following criteria that are required to have to apply for admission.
- Candidate must have passed with PCB (Physics, Chemistry, and Biology) or PCMB (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology).
- It is mandatory for the candidates to pass the 12th board with a minimum of 50% marks.
- There are some relaxation has been given in the marks like for OBC (Other Backward Class) and SC/ST (Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled tribes) 40%. To get exact details about the relaxation, you must visit the official website because it keeps on changing.
- There are also some age restrictions. Age should not be less than 17 years old and it must not be more than 25 years old.
This is the complete eligibility criteria that are required. Now let’s see the complete admission Process in BDS (Bachelor in Dental Surgery) Course.
Admission Process in BDS Course:
The admission in the Government colleges and some reputed private colleges are done through the Institute Level Entrance Examination and National Level Examination called NEET (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test). On the basis of the marks scored in the Entrance Exam, Candidates are shortlisted for admission.
The NEET is the top-level Medical Entrance Exam in India. Through this examination, candidates can take admission in MBBS Course, BDS Course, and other Medical Undergraduate Courses.
BDS Course Syllabus:
BDS is four years long Undergraduate Course. The syllabus of the course is different. Some colleges have divided these 4 years into eight semesters and some colleges follow a yearly pattern. But, the syllabus for both is completely the same. Here is the complete syllabus of the BDS degree course.
BDS First year syllabus
- General Anatomy
- Embryology and Histology
- General Human Physiology
- Dental Anatomy and Embryology
- Oral Histology
- General Biochemistry
BDS Second year syllabus
- Dental Materials
- General Pathology and Microbiology
- General Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Pre-Clinical Prosthodontics & Crown & Bridge
- Preclinical Conservative Dentistry
- Dental Pharmacology and Therapeutics
BDS Third-year Syllabus
- Oral Pathology
- General Medicine
- Oral Microbiology
- Tooth Morphology
- General Surgery
BDS Fourth Year Syllabus
- Oral Medicine and radiology
- Oral and maxillofacial Surgery
- Public health and community dentistry
- Conservative and endodontics
- Human Physiology
- Materials used in Dentistry
- Oral Anatomy
- Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
After the completion of the fourth, It is mandatory for every candidate to have an internship of at least one year from any hospital or clinic. In Most cases, Colleges help you in getting a better hospital or Dental Clinics to have to internship. Internship plays an important to get a better job after the completion of the Bachelor of Dental Surgery degree course.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery Course Fees:
The fee of the course depends on the college. Government colleges are very cheap in terms of fees while private colleges are very costly. But, due to high competition, it is tough to get to Government College. Government colleges are only allotted through NEET Examination. One will need to score well in order to get to a reputed college.
On average, a Government college’s fee can be between 15k Per Annum to 50k per annum while the private college’s fees can between 50k to 12 lakhs per annum depending upon the college. It is always suggested to take admission in Government College. Government colleges provide the best education in less amount.
A career in Bachelor of Dental Surgery:
The Medical field is still in a growing phase and the demand for Dental Surgeons is increased a lot in past five years. The BDS is also the most demanding course after the MBBS course. In the upcoming years, BDS Graduates would have better opportunities in this field. Freshly BDS Graduates have also the option to pursue a master’s degree in this particular field like MDS (Master of Dental Surgery).
Employment Area for BDS freshly Graduates
- Research Institutes
- Private Practice
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Educational Institutes
- Dental Products Manufacturers
- Dental Equipment Manufacturers
- Dental Clinics
Job profile or Type of Job after the Course
- Private Practitioner
- Dental Lab Technician/ Ceramist
- Medical Representative/ Sales Representative
- Dental Surgeon
- Oral Pathologist
- Public Health Specialist
- Dental Assistant
- Dental Hygienist
Top Recruiting Companies in India
- Reddys Laboratories
- Abbott India
- Glenmark Pharmaceuticals
Specialized Course After BDS
- Public health Dentistry
- Oral Medicine & Radiology
- Paedodontics & Preventive Dentistry
- Oral Pathology & Microbiology
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Orthodontics & Dent facial Orthopaedics
- Prosthodontics, Crown& bridge
- Conservative Dentistry & Endodontic
Salary After BDS Course:
After the completion of the Bachelor of Dental Surgery course, A person has an option to open his/her own dental Clinics. Through a dental clinic, one can earn decent money.
If you are going for a job at any private hospital or private clinic, you hardly can earn 15k to 30k per month depending upon the hospital or clinic. After some years of experience, you may earn decent money.
If you are looking for a job after the completion of the course, You must go for a government job, There are many vacancies available for the government hospitals and Government medical institutes. You will get a better salary with a secure and safe job.
Best College for BDS Course in India:
There are many Colleges that provide the best education and training. Here is the list of colleges that are ranked on the basis of their recent annual ranking.
- Government Dental College, Bangalore
- King George’s Medical University, Kerala Branch.
- R. Ahmed Dental College and Hospital
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore
- Sri Ramachandra University
- Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana
- Dental College & Hospital, Aurangabad
- Dental College & Hospital, Mumbai
- Dental College, Gujarat
- Amrita College of Dentistry
- Maulana Azad Medical College
- King George’s Medical University, Lucknow Branch
- Dental College, Thiruvananthapuram
- Dental College & Hospital, Andhra Pradesh
FAQs For Bachelor of Dental surgery
BDS stands for Bachelor of Dental Surgery. It is an Undergraduate course and the duration of the course is 5 years including one year of Internship.
The BDS course is 4 years long with one year of mandatory Internship. Including the Internship, the duration of the BDS course is 5 years.
If you are planning for your future in Medical Field. The BDS is a much better option than DDS. It is an Undergraduate course. After the course, one becomes eligible to open his/her own dental clinic. While with DDS (Diploma in Dental Surgery) you can only have a job after the course.