Women can join the Indian army only after completing their graduation. There are two options for women to join the Indian army, either you can join the regular army or the territorial army. The regular army is full-time while the territorial army is part-time, you can do other part-time private jobs while being part of the Indian army. Women can join the Indian army through OTA (officer’s training academy) where they will have to undergo vigorous training. Here are some ways through which a woman can join the Indian Army after completing graduation or how can a girl join Indian Army
Ways to Join Army for Girls:
- UPSC (Non-technical entry)
- UPSC (Technical Entry)
- Non-UPSC Entry
- NCC Special Entry
UPSC Non-Technical Entry:
The aspirants who are not from the engineering background fall under the category of SSC (short service commission) where they will have to appear for the combined defense service (CDS) exam conducted by the UPSC. This exam is conducted by UPSC all over India twice a year. On the basis of marks scored if the candidate is selected, they will be called for the interview which is conducted by SSB (Service Selection Board). On the basis of the overall performance of the candidate, final merit is prepared and candidates are selected for the OTA (officer’s training academy) where they will be given training for 29 weeks.
visit us- Career in Indian Army After 12th
Eligibility Criteria for CDS Exam:
- The candidate must be a citizen of India.
- The candidate must have an under graduation degree or equivalent (any stream) from any recognized university or college in India.
- Candidates who are currently appearing for the under graduation final year exams can apply for the CDS exams.
- The age of the candidate must be between 19 to 25 years.
- The candidate must be unmarried.
- The candidate must be physically and mentally fit. A lot of candidates get rejected on medical grounds so, candidates are strongly advised to get medically examined before applying for the CDS exam.
- Permanent tattoos are allowed only at the inner parts of the body. Tattoos on hands, palms are strictly prohibited.
- The minimum height for the female candidate appearing for the CDs exam is 152 cms.
Exam Pattern of CDS Entry Exam:
In the Selection through the CDS Examination. One will need to clear the Written Exam as well as the SSB Interview etc. The exam pattern of CDS is prescribed by the UPSC is as follows.
- Written Examination
- SSB interview
There’s the different exam pattern for IMA, INA, AFA, and OTA. English, General Knowledge, Elementary Mathematics. The time duration is 2 hours each and the maximum marks are 100 each. The exam pattern for OTA is English and General Knowledge, The time duration is 2 hours each and the maximum mark is 100 each.
CDS SSB Interview:
The CDS written examination is conducted by UPSC and Interview is conducted by SSB in two stages which are as follows:-
- Stage-I comprises OIR (Officer Intelligence Rating) and PP&DT (picture prescription and description test).
- Stage-II Psychology tests and conference, interview, group testing officer tasks.
CDS Salary and Allowances:
The pay scale of officers in the Indian Army differs from rank to rank. The starting salary in the Indian Army for officer grade is 56,700 at level 10 and at level 18, it is 2,50,000 (fixed). During training, the cadets are entitled to a stipend which is 56,100 per month. Allowances which is offered under CDS:
- Dearness allowance
- Field area allowance(16,900)
- Kit maintenance allowance (20,000 per year)
- Uniform allowance (20,000 per year)
- Transport allowance (72,00 + DA)
- Children education allowance(2,250 per child)
- Siachen allowance (42,000 per month)
UPSC (Technical Entry):
The short service commission is a direct entry for women who are willing to join the Indian Army. The candidates who possess the under graduation degree in engineering can clear the SSC (short service commission) on the basis of merit. There is no written exam for this; the candidates are shortlisted on the basis of the cut-off percentage. After entering through the technical branch, women will be joining the army as short service commission officers. They will have to undergo training for about 49 weeks. Only 20 women get selected every 6 months.
How Can A Girl Join Indian Army Eligibility Criteria:
- The candidate must be of the nationality of India.
- Only unmarried women or candidates can apply for this.
- The age of the candidate must be between 20 to 27 years.
- The candidate must have under graduation degree in engineering.
In the non-UPSC entry, the candidate must be a graduate. There are two ways for women to join the Indian army through this. These are given below:-
- NCC special entry (Short Service Commission)
- Judge Advocate general (Short Service Commission)
NCC Special Entry:
NCC (National Cadet Corps) is an organization that gives basic military training to young individuals in small arms. One can choose NCC from class 9th onwards. NCC at class 9th and 10th level is called junior division or wing. Girl cadets are called JW (Junior Wing) and boy cadets are called JD (Junior Division). JD and JW cadets give exams of ‘A’ certificate. Cadets who join NCC during graduation fall under the SD (Senior Division) and SW (Senior Wing) categories. The female cadet who had been active in the NCC can join the Indian Army through this route. There will not be a written exam, cadets will be called for the Interview conducted by SSB (Service Selection Board).
- The candidate must have taken two years of training in NCC senior division or wing with a minimum ‘B’ grade in the ‘C’ certificate exam.
- The candidate must be graduate in any stream (Science, Commerce, or Arts) from a recognized university or college with a minimum of 50% marks.
- The candidate must be unmarried and fall under the age of 19 to 25 years.
- Candidates are shortlisted twice a year, in June and December.
- The training period is 49 weeks as with UPSC entry.
JAG (Judicial Advocate General) Entry:
The Judge Advocate General is a branch of the Indian Army that provides legal help to the Army like courts-martial or other law-related issues. Women who are willing to join the Indian Army through this route must have a law degree (either 3 years or 5 years). The candidate will be called for the interview conducted by SSB. after clearing the interview, the medical test will be conducted by the Military Hospital. Once the candidate is declared fit, they will have to undergo training for 11 months in OTA (Officer’s Training Academy).
- The candidate must be unmarried.
- The candidate must have a graduation (LLB) degree with a minimum of 55% aggregate marks.
- The candidate must be the part of Bar Council of India.
- The age of the candidate must be between 21 to 27 years.
These are all the ages to join the Indian Army for girls. All the entries are tough, None of these entries are easy. One will have to prepare very well for any of these entries. There are many defense coaching academies that give the proper training and education for the defense entries. Join the best coaching and get trained well for your exam. well, I am promoting any coaching here, you can join the coaching if you really think that you need it. Either there are many stories of students who have cleared the complete selection phase by just preparing at home. These all information How can a Girl Join Indian Army
FAQs For How Can a Girl Join Indian Army
One must be at least 19 years old to apply for the officer's entry in the Indian Army.
All the vacancies for women to join Indian Army are after graduation. One must have passed at least graduation.
One must be at least 157cm. There are some relaxation in height for the candidate who belongs to North eastern region or any hilly areas etc.