Central Bureau of Investigation is an investigating agency in India. It is operated under the jurisdiction of the ministry of home affairs. The main aim of CBI is to investigate Bribery, Corruption of Government, Special crimes, Rape Cases, etc. It is exempted from the Right to information act. The headquarter of CBI is located in the CGO complex, new Delhi, Near Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium. Here in this article, we will get to know the complete details about How to Join CBI in India. We will see the required eligibility criteria, Age Limit, and what are the exams that one has to clear to be a part of the service, etc.
Way to Become a CBI Officer in India
There are two ways to join the CBI. You can get a job in CBI by clearing the CSE (Civil Service Examination) conducted by UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) or after clearing the SSC CGL examination.
Read Also- How To Become CID Officer?
By the Way of Civil Service Examination
The Civil Service Exam is conducted by the UPSC. Through this exam, the candidate gets shortlisted for the IAS (Indian Administrative Service), IPS (Indian Police Service), IFS (Indian Foreign Service), etc. This is one of the finest ways to join CBI in India.
- If you want to become a CBI Group A officer then you have to clear civil service examinations with good rank so that you can choose IPS.
- After choosing IPS (Indian Police Service), there is a provision for IPS officers that they can get transferred to SPC (state Police Cadres) which includes CBI, RAW, and IB.
- You have to clear civil service examinations which follow three stages i.e preliminary exams, mains exam, and personal interviews.
- The preliminary exams consist of two objective papers. While the Mains paper is completely descriptive and this is the toughest paper of the Civil Service Examination. Once a candidate clears the Preliminary and Mains Exam, he/she will proceed for the Personal Interview.
By the Way of SSC CGL Examination
- The SSC CGL Examination is pretty much similar in nature to Civil Service Exams. In the SSC CGL Examination, One will have to clear the two rounds of Written Examination and both the papers will be objective in nature.
- SSC CGL Exam is easy to clear as compared to the Civil Service Examination. After clearing the Written Exams, He/she will proceed for the Personal Interview.
- Now let’s see the other eligibility Criteria that are mandatory to have to apply for this examination and to become eligible to join the Criminal Bureau Investigation Department.
Eligibility to Join CBI (Central Bureau Investigation), Officer
- The candidate must have completed their Bachelor’s degree from any stream (Science, Commerce, and Arts) and from any recognized college or university. The eligibility criteria for a CBI officer also varies from the type of post the candidate wants.
- The age limit of the candidate must be between 21 to 33 years. The age limit for general category candidates is 21 to 33 years, the OBC candidates are given relaxation of 3 years i.e 21 to 33 years and SC / ST category candidates are offered a relaxation of 5 years, the age limit for SC / ST category is 21 to 35 years.
Read Also- How to Join RAW India?
Physical Requirement in Criminal Bureau Investigation (CBI)
In order to join the service. It is mandatory to be medically and physically fit to join the service. Here are some required medical and physical Eligibility for Male and Female candidates:
- The height of men’s should be 165 centimetres and the hillsmen and tribals are given relaxation of 5 centimetres.
- Chest of men should be 76 centimetres with expansion.
- For eye-sight, the distant vision should be 6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in another eye. The near vision must be 0.6 in one eye and 0.8 in another eye.
- The height of women must be 150 centimetres and the weight must be in accordance with height or as per medical standard.
- The eyesight requirement for women’s is the same as for men’s, the distant vision should be 6/6 in one and 6/9 in other eye and near vision should be 0.6 in one and 0.8 in another eye.
Qualities in a Candidates must Possess to Join a CBI in India
- Sharp and detective mind
- The person should not fear anything and must be determined to work in hard situations and areas.
- You should be physically fit and free from all diseases and must be healthy.
- When needed, you have to work for long and erratic hours.
- Your stamina must be good and have to give your best in every condition.
- You should not fear travelling while working in CBI you have to travel a lot.
- You have to be mentally alert always for the outside actions.
- Your mental health must be strong because of logical and analytical thinking.
- You must possess a high level of concentration.
Divisions in Criminal Bureau Investigation (CBI) Department
The Central Bureau Investigation (CBI) has around seven divisions. Each division has its own responsibility and own area for work. Here is the list of divisions in the CBI department.
- Anti-Corruption Division
- Special Crimes Division
- Administration Division
- Central Forensic Science Laboratory
- Economic Offences Division
- Directorate of prosecution
- Policy & coordination Division
Job Profile of Criminal Bureau Investigation Personnel
The first investigation of any cases related to fraud, Rapes, corruption, etc is done by the Police personnel. If the police personnel are unable to solve the case within the given time period. In this particular situation, cases are handover to the CBI. The CBI is responsible to Investigate any type of Internal Threats to the nation, Rape cases, Corruption cases, Cases on the government personnel, Cases on celebrities, etc. There are basically two types of job offers in the CBI Department.
- In Branch Work
- Field Works
All the personnel who are posted in Branch, have fix schedules of working but when they are working on any special case, they may need to work day and night. At a particular time, there is no fixed schedule of working for anyone who is in the service.
Field officers do not have a fixed schedule of working. They do not have to visit the office regularly. They are responsible to collect the evidence related to the cases and submit it to the other personnel for further investigation.
The Job in the Criminal Bureau Investigation Department is very adventurous and highly respected in society. But in most of the cases, The CBI Personnel’s has to keep their identity secret. This job is only for the person who loves adventure. You will never get fix working schedule unless/until you are in the service.
There are some other departments also in the service where you can get fix working schedules like Data Collectors, IT Personnel’s and some other posts, etc. I hope that you got the answer to How to Join CBI in India. Now let’s see the Training Procedure and Salary in the service etc.
Training Procedure in Criminal Bureau Investigation
All the selected candidates in the Criminal Investigation Department are trained to be smart and active Officer. They get training on:
- Computer Skills
- Unarmed Combat
- Soft Skills
- Gender Sensitization
- Human Rights etc.
They are trained under the supervision of professionals. The Duration of the Training depends on many things like the performance of the candidate and his way of learning new skills etc.
Salary in CBI Department
The Indian Government pays the salary to the Employees on the Basis of the Grade of the Service. Government Employees are divided into four Grades. Grade A, Grade B, Grade C, and Grade D, etc.
The Criminal Bureau Investigation falls in Grade A Categories. The Salary in the service can be between 18,500/- per month to 86,750/- per month depending upon the rank and experience in the service. There are also many other benefits and allowances that one gets in the service.
- Travel Allowances
- Dearness Allowances
- Free Ration
- Free Government Stay to the Employees as well as Family.
- Paid Leaves
- Special Incentive Allowances (SIA) etc.
Well, It is not easy to join CBI in India. It is among one of the toughest services in India. You will need to prepare well to join the Central Bureau Investigation.
Read Also- How to Join NIA?
FAQs For How to Join CBI?
The Selection of officers and other posts are done on the basis of the Examination. One can appear for the Civil Service Exam, SSC CGL Exam, etc. In both the exams, One has to clear two rounds of Written Examination followed by the Personal Interview, etc.
In order to become an officer in the CBI, A candidate must be graduate in any disciplined. The age of the candidate must be 20 years old and it should be more than 33 years old. There are some relaxation has been given to the candidates who belong to the OBC, SC/ST category.
In order to become an officer after engineering. One will need to appear for the SSC CGL Exam or Civil Service Examinations. Through the Civil Service Examination. One can directly become an A Grade Officer in the Criminal Bureau Investigation Officer.